F11 - Full screen
F11 - Normal view

Home & Contents

           

"Alt" +
or Backspace
to go back pages


Contents

Previous walks     Stereo & Full Screen viewing    Links     Weather        

 

Back to non-stereo page

This walk:  2008-4-14. Batworthy Corner, Teign-e-ver Clapper Bridge, Wallabrook Bridge, Tolmen Stone, Gallaven Brook/leat, Scorhill Circle, Watern Tor, cairn, Manga Hill, Teignbridge farm footbridge (FB5), FHS Memorial Footbridge, Three Boys Standing Stone (fallen), Long Stone, Kestor Rock, stone rows and Round Pound.

This walk was based on Walk 11 "Legends and the Men of Bronze" in the Walking in Northern Dartmoor book, pages 52-54, published by Dartmoor Rescue Group.

 

Possible cist, not on map, near Batworthy Corner, at SX 65810 86555 5 meters. See next photo. This is marked by a red flag symbol on the map below.

 

Possible cist as shown in first photo. There seems to be a definite upright stone showing at the near right corner with a space under what could be a cap stone?

 

Some recent i.e. modern walling at the edge of Batworthy Farm.

 

Teign-e-ver Clapper Bridge at SX 65447 87079 5 meters. Two slabs held together by iron straps. The Tolmen Stone is a few yards down stream on the left bank as seen from this point, probably the next-to-last stone opposite the dark fir tree.

 

The Tolmen Stone, at SX 65501 87091 7 meters.

 

The second bridge, Wallabrook Bridge, at SX 65358 87136 5 meters. The small hawthorn tree makes a good landmark. This is marked by a red flag symbol on the map.

 

The third bridge, over Gallavern Brook.

 

Then, up the hill to Scorhill Circle, at SX 65464 87383 (from the 1:25,000 OS map). There are apparently 24 stones standing here and 8 fallen, according to Crossing's Guide to Dartmoor, William Crossing, ISBN 1 872640 16 7, 1912 edition, Peninsula Press, 1990.

 

A small section of Scorhill Circle, with probably Steeperton Tor in the distance, above the highpoint of the left-hand stone, That is at SX 6200 88923, 3.81 km / 2.4 miles. The magnetic bearing was 296.

 

Approaching the Thirlestone arch on Watern Tor. At a certain angle, it can be seen not to be an arch.

 

A view of the main rock pile of Watern Tor (SX 629 867, from the map)

 

Another view of Watern Tor.

 

Cairn, at SX 62900 86086 5 meters.

 

View towards Kestor Rock (middle distance, to the left). Batworthy Corner is the dark corner of the trees on the left.

 

Stile at SX 62985 86433, with Fernworthy Forest in the background.

 

The clapper bridge on the track between Fernworthy Forest and Teignhead Farm, at SX 63940 84481. This bridge, and the one in the following photo, is over the North Teign River.

 

The footbridge at SX 64002 84640 4 meters, with a memorial stone dedicated to Harry Starkey. It is engraved FHS 1912-1989. See next photo .....

 

 

View to the north, looking down the North Teign River.

 

This view was appealing at the time, looking north-eastwards along the edge of Fernworthy Forest towards Kestor Rock, which is behind the hill.

 

Three Boys Standing Stone (fallen), at SX 66028 85486 4 meters, with Kestor Rock behind.

 

Long Stone (Boundary Stone, 66031 85687 4 m) engraved GF / DC. According to Crossing (page 242), this marks an ancient forest bondmark, between the common lands of Gidleigh and Chagford.

 

View of the 10 feet high Long Stone with Kes Tor in the background.

 

Looking back at the Long Stone. This area has several double stone rows and other features, known to Crossing as the antiquities of Shovel Down.

 

Zoomed view of Kes Tor (SX 665 862, according to the map).

 

Looking north along a double stone row towards Scorhill Down and Scorhill Circle (I believe just visible below the top of the hill). A second double row can be seen running off right, towards Batworthy Corner.

 

View along the second double stone row, with Batworthy Corner at the extreme right of the photo, and left of the white sheep.

 

Round Pound (SX 663 868, according to the map), passed while driving home. The pound contains a central hut that was excavated in 1951 and 1952 by Lady Fox who found Iron Age artefacts, as well as a Bronze Age flint arrowhead. The pound is described J. Butler (1991), Dartmoor Atlas of Antiquities  II, 36.1 Kes Tor settlement, pages 170-176. 

 

 website stats