Previous walks      Weather     Links    

   Search Dartmoor CAM

#htmlcaption #htmlcaption #htmlcaption #htmlcaption #htmlcaption #htmlcaption #htmlcaption #htmlcaption #htmlcaption #htmlcaption

2010-3-24. Widecombe-in-the-Moor, yew tree, Church House (brew or ale house i.e. "comminity centre"), The Old Inn, lych gate, coffin stone, 15" naval shell, National Trust signs, St Pancras Church - The Cathedral on the Moor, snowdrops, wild daffodils, Widecombe cross, the Widecombe sign (monolith), Uncle Tom Cobley etc., village green, sundial, church screen inserts, two-way plough, Tucker Stone, bell clappers, stained glass windows, church kissing gate.

 

The Widecombe-in the-Moor web site

Back to previous page

 

Yew tree, standing where the old village cross once stood.

 

Covered "cloister" or walk-way outside the old brew/ale house etc, now a National Trust property.

 

National Trust sign outside the old houses.

 

A view of The Old Inn: extensively damaged by fire in the 1970ís and subsequently re-furbished.

 

The lych gate and coffin stone.

 

The 15-inch naval shell that was donated to the village by the National War Savings Committee for its effort in collecting sphagnum moss which, when dried, acts as a good absorbent (like cotton wool) and which has natural antiseptic qualities for treating wounds as used in WW1.

 

The sign on the shell.

 

National Trust sign outside the Church House.

 

Looking the other way along the "cloister".

 

A view of St. Pancras Church, Widecombe - "The Cathedral of the Moor".

 

Another view of the church - why do I always cut off the tops of the pinnacles, with their small crosses?

 

Wild daffodils, Narcissus pseudonarcissus in the churchyard, also known as Lent lilies.

 

The old Widecombe Churchyard Cross, outside the church door, facing the opposite direction to all the other crosses in the churchyard.

 

Widecombe church, minus its pinnacles again.

 

The monolith near the church, designed by Lady Sylvia Sayer, showing the characters of the Widecombe Fair song about Tom Cobley and his grey mare (Widecombe's own web site) .....

 

..... the top of the structure .....

 

 

..... the sign on it .....

 

..... and closer again - "With Bill Brewer, Jan Stewer, Peter Gurney, Peter Davy, Dan'l Whiddon, Harry Hawke, Old Uncle Tom Cobley and all.

"Uncle Tom Cobley" of the old Widecombe Fair Song, was from Yeoford Junction, about 12 miles from Widecombe (SX 783 984, Spreyton Parish, 3 miles SW of Crediton). His will was signed in January 1787 and "proved" in 1794. A copy may be seen in the Old Smithy (written pre-1983, p.675). The names in the chorus of the song were all Sticklepath men. One version of the song includes an eighth name,  Bob Paul, that fits and rhymes better. (Source: Eric Hemery, p.675-677.). Perhaps he was left out because he fell of the back of the 'orse?

 

A view of the village green ("Butt Park"): it was used for archery practise in the days when this was compulsory by royal command to maintain an army of skilled archers for time of war.

 

Seen in Widecombe .....

 

The church clock.

 

Sundial above the church door - it was difficult to tell the time today!

 

Inserts in an old screen near the back of the church.

 

A quite unique plough for these days - a turn-over (or reversible) plough for working in both directions in a field.

 

The Tucker Stone .....

 

..... and its description, although it is difficult to read it here. Seen near the back of the church.

 

 

Bell clappers, believed to have been in use in 1638 when the tower was struck by lightning.

 

The stained glass window behind the main altar .....

 

Stained glass window to the left of the main altar.

 

The kissing gate from the back of the church leading to the main road.

 

Churchyard daffodils again. 

Back to previous page

All photographs on this web site are copyright © Keith Ryan.
All rights reserved - please email for permissions

Sister web sites
Dartmoor Tick Watch
The Cornish Pasty - The Compleat Pastypaedia